PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot caught smelling of alcohol at LHR
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2009, 16:48
Mmmayday38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Phil Space' wrote;

"It looks increasingly like you are on duty from the moment you leave home until you return.Hence the old fashioned room parties are a thing of the past.Just look at the pictures that emerged in the UK tabloid press of the Heathrow BA who pulled off the Boeing landing."

Yes Phil, those party days are well and truly over; causal factors being, lack of days off anymore downroute, plus getting older!!

I was breathalysed straight after that landing by the LHR police (no objection from me as I was happy to be proved innocent of any blame) plus another urine test by the authorities after my AAIB interview some hours later... both negative.

People arrive at work in all sorts of state of mind; it is often up to the front line staff to recognise whether our colleagues are fit to fly. Our state of mind can be affected by all manner of personal problems and are quite often manifested by drinking too much. Our jobs include looking after others; and I hope that the other members of this crew from LHR are not cursing themselves for not warning this pilot. They might be blaming themselves now for not telling him to go sick at the hotel? He might have been showing signs of crying out for help over the previous sector/night stop or even months before. We all have the capacity to help guys help themselves and not end up in this situation.

Liquorice anyone?