PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WSSS Emergency Procedures
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2009, 10:52
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZScion & leewan,

In advance of answering, I do want to confirm that if you are in genuine dire need, you could not hope for better help than in Singapore, truly first class

"Standby" will work in Singapore, for about 5 seconds, and then the never ending tirade of questions commences, totally distracting you from attending to the problem at hand. They are, as they say, "kiasu", which, loosely translated means grossly over-reacting and in an entirely hyper-active way. Native Singaporeans could give you a better definition of "kiasu".

You mentioned tone of voice NZScion, yes, limited value, Bugger off said emphatically would probably achieve more.

I really don't want to go into the specifics of my own serious problem, it is and was well known and would give away my jealously guarded anonymity. Suffice it to say that it was a Flight Control problem of the most serious nature.

I DO recall the Airbus case when the gear could not be raised, I was doing circuit training at the time and overhead the entire drama which lasted several hours whilst he burned off fuel. ATC needed progress reports every minute or two, I suspect that the pilot concerned probably felt like making the call which I suggested earlier.

I don't think the POB thing is unique to Singapore, but it certainly is mandatory there (a good thing). Not a great many other places require it.

Again I say, when you REALLY need them, you could not do better than Singapore ATC!

Regards,

Old Smokey