PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a newby IFR Instructor
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2009, 09:25
Death Pencil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guptar, firstly a pat on the back for realising your limitations ie. inexperienced in the field, and looking for some advice

Some good points here.. my 2 cents...

But dont forget Traffic Management
You beat me to it... spend some time on the whiteboard with some scenarios... (as Bulldog mentioned)

Make sure the student knows a correct 'scan'... that it's not just a matter of moving your eyeballs around like they're in desperate need of an exorcism (such as a generic scan like T, inverted V... )
Make sure it's correct ATTITUDE flying (power + attitude = performance.... which is somewhat overused/misunderstood me thinks). Where I used to teach we would cover all the instruments up except the AI (in the sim), get the student to fly attitudes and power (trimmed properly as Fonz says...)... and guess what? if I keep the wings straight, pitch dot 0, and cruise power I hold a heading/altitude! without even seeing the Alt/hdg! (do I need to scan the ASI every 5 seconds in the cruise?!?)..... If I keep the wings stright and climb attitude etc. etc. I get climb speed... (this gets the point through to them about attitude flying)................THEN once they've got this, reveal the other instruments and point out what they should be looking at & when.
Set high standards and enforce precision.
point taken... but may promote 'chasing the instruments'...

When changing power settings in IMC students will tend to focus on the RPM and MP gauges and will start to lose hdg, alt, pitch quite quickly.
get them used to what 'feels' right.. let them have a play with the MAP/RPM and know that 'this much of a shove' relates to 'that much of a change'.... for example... a large power change... there's no point watching the MAP needles going ALL the way (eg. cruise to descent power)... put the levers in the ball park area,(while looking at AI) THEN have a look...

ICING. Be aware yourself, and make the student aware.

Guard good points... just to add to the fuel side of things, 'ok, what if ___ is socked in, where can we go, do we have enough fuel'... or how long can we hold before we have to divert & where to......

lastly, remember that you're an 'instructor'... so TEACH, don't ASSESS.
(ie. no use saying just 'you stuffed this up'... unless you're following up with 'this is how to prevent it happening again / this is how to get out of it')... try looking at yourself first before pointing the finger at the student... did I teach him/her how to do this properly?

Well, waiting to get picked apart by the crowd, but just some general points i've picked up along the way.