PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any one has feedback on Royal Aeroclub of Western Australia? Sister company of WAAC.
Old 21st May 2009, 09:07
smudgiebottom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RACWA

I did my PPL right through to Grade 3 Instructor Rating with them some time ago and had no real complaints. At the time, I couldn't get any work as a Grade 3 without moving to the country and made the call to stay with my family, so my flying career stopped at the time - now it's just for fun.

Doing my AFR with them more recently, I have to say you do feel like a small fish in a big sea of pilots and students. I prefer the more intimate days when they were smaller.

Facilities are now much better too with the bar upstairs and (usually) plenty of planning/study rooms downstairs.

As Veeeffarr says, the fleet is probably aging a bit now, although I believe some new 172s are on their way soon, but I love the Mooney's and all are very well maintained, so no complaints.

One last thing to note is that Jandakot has rather high landing fees, so fortunately, RACWA own a bitumen (and gravel) airfield (Murrayfield, near Mandurah to the south) in the Jandakot training area, so you can do some circuits down there without paying for every touch, then some training area work and then come back. Makes it more affordable that way.

I did need to swap instructors once or twice to find the right fit though, but I'm sure that's not isolated to just RACWA.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Smudge.