PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Redeye" shouldn't mean the pilot.
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2009, 01:38
CAR256

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Political Eggshells

After watching the you tube link that Jock p posted, I had the realisation that this subject is going to require careful introduction of change, due to the arse covering that is required by the relevent parties. (Except for Pilots )

The relevant aviation authorities cannot say that change to flight and duty time requirements is required without implying that the current regulations are, at least risky. Currently they are implicitly stating that they are adequate and safe. Thus developing an improved system is difficult for them.

Airline management are protecting their bottom line, and will not ask for change, for fear of losing market share. Change isn't required anyway, as the regulatory body states the regulations are safe, and their pilots are operating within those regulations.

So, it appears to me that the pilot body needs to 'step-up' and call for change. This is currently being looked into by the AFAP ( http://www.afap.org.au/?a1D1J&qiM&435&4vW ). When calling for this change, it needs sensitivity due to the reasons mentioned above.

The other thing that I picked up from you tube, was this subject is gathering a little momentum in the media.

Here's hoping that some good comes of it...