PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHAR Wars; The PPruners Strike Back...
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2002, 19:50
Nozzles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I've just read some interesting comments.

Apparently the GR9 is going to be a very potent Air Defence platform. Somebody please name another AD platform without a radar. No self respecting fighter pilot would claim he 'did AD' if he didn't have a radar. Hell, the Americans even put A-A radars in some of their bombers.

Apparently, ASRAAM cued by a helmet mounted sight is a BVR weapon. The point of the HMS is that you LOOK AT the target and shoot at it. If the target is BVR, by definition you can't see it; ergo you can't shoot it BVR. I really hope the inference is not that ASRAAM could be cued to a JTIDS track. If it is, any American fighter pilot reading this has just stopped laughing at my first paragraph and is now breaking out in a cold sweat.

As for firing AIM-120 from a platform with no radar-I think that must be a cruel joke to wind up those who don't understand how the AMRAAM works.

WEBF, I really must sign on for that maily thingy. If only I could think of a password...............

Hmmmmmm. Just went to register for it and it was asking all sorts of difficult questions like who I am, where am I etc. So I kissed it off. Sorry mate

Last edited by Nozzles; 14th May 2002 at 19:57.