PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATLAS buys POLAR
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2001, 00:08
Machup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floridaboy is absolutely on the right track. The end of Polar is near. ALPA miracles don't exist. I've been with 5 closing airlines now and the writing on the wall is the same, contract or not. The DOT will allow Atlas to run Polar for awhile to protects the Japan slots and then watch everything dissappear down the road. The Japan markets are dry and yields are terrible, and will probably be a few years before their attractive again. If not United,UPS,Fedex,NW,etc. would be knocking on GE's door with counter offers. $60 Mil is a trickle to these carriers and they would not be sitting still if they thought Japan was an investment. Actually when you think about it. These guys just might be waiting for the demise of both carriers. Then they can pick up the Japan routes for nothing. Atlas is dying with it's ACMI charters. The yields for the size of aircraft don't warrant future contracts. Atlas is treading water and the risk of operating Polar with it's current yields could catapult the two into nonexistence. I wish I could be optimistic, but the only help we will get will come from ALPA in a benefit package for furlough pilots and the N.Y. Unemployment Phone number. It is a shame, but as GE would tell ya business is business. Good Luck to all you Polar and Atlas guys. Enjoyed flying with you all.

[ 15 July 2001: Message edited by: Machup ]