PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATLAS buys POLAR
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2001, 22:32
William Thurston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a Polar Bear I can tell you this just plain sucks! Our ALPA contract has a scope clause in it that prevents Polar from selling the company if it results in a reduction of crews. Well, they just did and Atlas has made no bones about downsizing. The thing that hacks me off is the fact that I am sure Polar knew this but kept any inkling of what was to happen in the dark so the union could not organize any kind of opposition and get laid off before anyone knew what happened. We were told of a forthcoming "alliance" that would improve everything. Personally I am beginning to believe the scope clause of pur contract is a waste of good paper. Try talking to the union, Hah; no answers there. We have no idea is they are going to pursue job protection (my bet is not). And I really believe tha Atlas is going to use us against their union. Or at least try. We'll see. And too add insult to injury, last year United tried to buy us for more money! But for now there will soon be a pot full of former Polar Bears on the street.