PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF to Extend ATC hours at YWLM
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2009, 09:25
MrApproach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny how the Willy decision came close on the heels of reports that the RAAF were being pressured to combine their ATC with the civilians. Watch how the plan fades away once they have won that battle! Generals are politicians too.

Howard Hughes is of course right on the money. There is no reason why Richmond needs to be a RAAF base, there is plenty of room at Amberley and that would save Defence truckloads of money in running and admin costs. Richmond has always been the best choice and sooner or later it will happen. By that I mean KSA will be closed and Richmond will become Sydney International. There is nothing wrong with Sydney KSA except noise sharing, an 80 movements an hour cap and the curfew. Parallels or triples at Richmond will fix Sydney for the next 50 years and a maglev train will have you downtown faster than it can be presently done in a taxi.

As for the other story;
1) Combine the two national ANSPs (Military and Civil)
2) RAAF bases to be staffed by civil ATCs who become reservists for their posting period (needs a no industrial action clause while in uniform);
3) Maintain a cadre of civil ATCs who are trained in battlespace techniques and who can put on the uniform and agree to serve where they are sent (fabulous career opportunity for mobile individuals);
4) Replace all airspace outside Class ABC with E, reserve D for airports with sufficient circuit movements to need a tower (BK, JK, and MB. PF/AF Maybe)
5) E airspace to include airport approaches (NDB/DME, VOR/DME, GBAS/ILS/MLS) controlled from ATC Centre (Airports such as Avalon, Albury, Hamilton island, etc do not need a Runway/Taxiway/Circuit area service (Tower) they need an approach service. Caveat there on military airports, they probably need local ATC, a combined TWR/Radar APP);
6) G airspace from ground level to 2000 feet AGL.

Sorry guys the heretics are still out here, I'd better stop I can feel the incoming!