PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightwatch – 27 VHF outlets being closed
Old 20th May 2009, 04:28
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Ex FSO GRIFFO, what rubbish. The AMATS document clearly showed that there would be two automated Flight Service stations in Australia, with many VHF outlets across the country – just like the US system.

Under the Review of Resources – and Flight Service was part of this – staff numbers went from 7,000 to about 3,500. Do you really consider that this hasn’t been a saving to the industry? In fact, there is no doubt that the industry saved over $1 billion in the last 17 years.

I have always believed that we should have a separate Flight Service system in the same way as the USA and Canada. Whilst I want air traffic controllers to offer a radar service where radar is available, I’ve always wanted a separate system for weather, flight plan opening and closing etc.

There are no proposals in the USA under NAS to close down their VHF Flight Service system – even though it has been contracted out to a non-government entity.

The latest decision means that air traffic controllers who are responsible for separating traffic will also be giving weather information and accepting flight plans. This is obviously a crock. I would say it is all about Airservices increasing its profits and CASA not doing its job.