PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 20th May 2009, 01:50
protectthehornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for the record, the aileron problem I had was in a piper turbo arrow 3

the chain jumped the sprocket...over downtown san jose...landed straight in with rudder in KSQL. the approach was over uninhabited area...san jose had too many folks under the flight path.

I don't think of it as heroic, just something I learned along time ago. Back in 1930's, a CAA inspector took off in a plane just out of mx. The ailerons were rigged backwards (sort of like the elevator trim being rigged backwards on the convair that crashed...but that's another thread).

After that, the CAA demanded that the rudder be able to handle such a situation.

and mustang sally...I came up the hard way. CFIIMEI and then on to the airlines. So I have time in tomahawks and jets. And the hardest plane I ever flew was the MU2. The best plane, the DC9...and a gentle cow, the 737 (except for rudder hardovers)

brian and inbalance, thank you. I wasn't looking for a pat on the back...just wanted to share something so that others might have a chance one day.