PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2009, 00:58
rmventuri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bingo!

Reg, what an incredible find! Yes I would very much like a copy of the Battle Order - I left you my address via pm. Reg, looks like you have confirmed what we thought re the photo not being the crew of HR732. Because information can be so sketchy going back more than sixty fives years I am trying to pull together at least two or three data points on any important piece of information - Now we know Ernie Herrald in the photo, HR732 Sgt William Hamilton is not in the photo, HR732 Edwards (3rd from left - I don't have the crew list in on this computer so don't remember first name) is in the photo. Still waiting for some of the other crew descendants to see if they can ID any of these chaps. With this information I'm going to review the Snaith ops logs to see if I can get the crew names. I'm waiting on another crew photo that my mother has to post in the near future.

There were several other pictures taken during that same photo op. One pic has four chaps in front of the seven air crew. Would the four be the ground crew dedicated to the maintenance/repair of the aircraft? I'm curious how large a bomber squadron was - from pics on the internet I am estimating about 200-250 crew, with seven flight crew and four ground crew that would mean somewhere around 20 to 25 bomber aircraft in the squadron. I guess if mosquitoes were in the same squadron the number would go up. Does that make sense?

Best regards,
Rodger

Last edited by rmventuri; 20th May 2009 at 05:03.