PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a Masters Degree
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2009, 00:09
NewZealand787

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for a Masters Degree

Mods, please feel free to put this thread into the correct place if it's not suitable here.

Hi there, im 25, currently living in New Zealand, and need some advice.

2 weeks ago I got my CPL, and now im doing my Multi Engine Instrument Rating. Should be all finished in about 3 months or so, with about 320TT and 20 multi

When I finish I plan on moving to the states, ive been there many many times before (as I used to work as a long haul flight attendant), and love the place. Ive been lucky and last year I won a greencard in the lottery.

Now I know that there arn't any jobs for an entry level pilot like me, so I was thinking of possibly doing a Masters in Aviation. Before flying I went to university and got a BSc (Biomedical).

Now, the way I see it ive got 2 options. While in the US, I can do a masters degree extramurally from Massey University in New Zealand. Itll cost around $10,000NZD (6000USD). The Embry Riddle website says course fees are 28,000USD per year. Thatd be 56,000 total. Surely this cant be right? And if it is right, is it worth the money? If I plan on making a career in the states then a masters from a university in the states might carry more weight than one from a NZ university?

I know degrees arn't necessary to become an airline pilot, but Im thinking I might like to get into Aviation management or something one day. At least it would give me something productive to do while this recession keeps up.

Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks in advance