PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2009, 18:28
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with colegate, about EI being at a crossroads. After years of indecisive moves, confusing branding, low-cost Europe- frills on the atlantic, its about time that EI decided who they are, and what they are.

If they are fighting EZY on there home turf, they need to step up their game. They cant rely on ''people like flying with EI because they are nice''. They need to use there assets and use them wisely to compete vigouresly.

I agree too; now that the recession seems to be bottoming out (although unfortunately, plenty of bad news - particularly on the jobs front - still to come), the airline definitely needs to work out where it wants to go. It can expand on long haul, but not with the kind of operation it has now; it's even doubtful if the 330 (or 350) is the right aircraft; passengers will be more cost - and value - sensitive.

On short haul, exactly what is it going to take before EI cops on to the reality that a "one size fits all" (i.e. A320) operation is not the best way forward; sure, even by definition, a low cost A319 operator can sustain a cut-throat competition for longer; if an A319 and a 320 are both carrying (say) 70 pax, (assuming the same yields), who is going to last longer; a 319 may make a profit with 70 pax; can a 320?

Even a 319 may not do the job for EI; they really need to look at something smaller to stop themselves being pushed out of markets - particularly the regional UK markets - by FR. A once daily service to MAN and BHX should surely be a hint that something is just not working. Either get the relationship with RE working, or find a 100 seater; there's enough competition in that sector for one of the manufacturers to give EI a very good deal.

On a happier note, a little blast from the past ... from a time when flying was, well, different ...

YouTube - tecmovie's Channel