PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL(H) Training, a few questions
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2009, 17:53
RMK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of good (and correct info in the above posts). I hold both FAA & JAA PPL(H) and here are some points to note:

It seems the average number of hours for a PPL (H) completion is in the 60ish hour range, so budget on that number. The objective is to become a good pilot, not how fast you can get through training. I found it far more cost beneficial to do my initial training in the US and get my FAA PPL followed by the 5hr conversion (to get the SFAR endorsement) for the R44. Then do conversion training for the JAA PPL here in the UK. It was also more fun and less stressful. Once you have your FAA, you can still fly in the UK while waiting on the British weather to give you a break to get your lessons in. Some notes:

· The JAA cross-country has longer distance requirements, so make certain that your FAA cross-country experience meets or exceeds the JAA requirements. Compare all the FAA/JAA requirements so you don’t fall short. Very similar but with two main differences: FAA includes 3hrs night flying and JAA includes 5hrs “instrument awareness” training (flying with goggles so that you only see the instruments). Both are good for you.
· The FAA R44 endorsement is not technically a “type rating” as under the JAA. You can only get a JAA recognised type rating if the US training was done at an approved Type Rating Training Organisation (TRTO) - good luck finding one. For the JAA, whatever helicopter you take your exam in you get that type rating. So what I did was take my JAA PPL exam flight in the R44, so that any additional flying for the R22 type rating would be at lower rates.
· Combine your medical visits for the FAA ClassIII Medical and JAA ClassII with the same doctor & visit. There are a couple physicians in the UK that can do both on the same visit saving time and money both initially and every couple years in the future as then your expiry dates are close to synchronised
· Ground exams? Yes, start reading now but keep them separate (FAA & JAA) so that you don’t confuse the location distinct info. FAA is one big computer based exam and the JAA is seven separate pen&pencil exams with an oral radio license exam (FAA has no separate radio license at PPL level). I’d suggest getting the ground exams out of the way, that way during training you can concentrate on the flying, which you will find more tiring than expected, especially if you are doing multiple training flights a day.
· Size (R22 vs R44): I weigh 90kg and most of my training in FL was done by a fairly stocky Scottish bloke. If you fit in R22 comfortably and are in W&B, that good enough. You don’t need full fuel. The R22 flies over 3hrs on full fuel, that’s a long damn lesson? This is training by yourself with an instructor. There is no need to impress friends/family with how nice the helicopter is, save that for when you have your license. Of course if money is no object, choose neither and train in an Agusta 109
· Better trainer? Don’t get these PPRune folk started on that topic, it will go on for pages. I will note that if you can autorotate the R22 well, you will find a R44 auto quite easy and very forgiving. NOT the other way around.
· Price (US vs UK): Today we’re at 1.54 GBP/USD. I got three-bedroom suites for $75/nite and convertible sportcars for 30/day. Florida/California is cheap and getting cheaper.
· Rental once you’re licensed? Technically, any UK location can SFH to a FAA PPL. However not all do. Seems a bit of a coin toss as to who is OK with it.
· One silly difference, upon completing you FAA exam ride you get a Temporary Airman Certificate with which you can fly immediately. Upon completing your JAA exam ride, you can’t technically fly until your paperwork is processed by the CAA and you receive your license in the post. Get used to being displeased with CAA – that’s only the start.

As for Frank’s comments, when you’re the owner of the world’s largest civilian helicopter company, I believe many of your statements are guided by your lawyers and not necessarily your own views. Once licensed, I would highly recommend the Robinson Safety Course in California. The overall cost is less than the flying time you get included.

Have fun