PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What flying boat is this?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2009, 17:13
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Con-pilot, that's a weird looking aeroplane! Are the wings also extended slightly?

I know that there were wingtip extensions for the Cat, but I'm talking about the area around the new engines.

The extra engines look like standard Lycoming / Continental 4/6 pot horizontals - do you have any more information?

Unless it's a wind-up?

SD
No, it is a real aircraft. The picture that I posted was taken in, of all placed, Albuquerque, New Mexico (KABQ). It was based there for years and I had the pleasure of walking all around the aircraft, never got to go inside it sadly. However, what I could see peering through the cabin windows the interior was very impressive. I was told that it could berth six people, had a full galley with propane fueled stove, a full bathroom including a shower and quite an entertainment system.

Number one and number four engines are 400 hp Lycoming. The only airframe modification that I am aware of is the increased size of the vertical stabilizer and the rudder because of the additional two engines.

At one time the company that had done the modification had plans to modify many more PBYs, however, I don't know how many were done, I've only seen and heard about the one pictured.

Personally I think having that aircraft to fly all over the world island hopping from the South Pacific, to the Med, the Caribbean, etc. would be a blast.