PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines To Routinely Monitor Cockpit Voice Recordings?
Old 19th May 2009, 16:21
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SDFlyer - "Methinks he doth protest too much". I am always a little alarmed by people who feel so strongly on a particular issue that they want to threaten people with being fired for disagreeing with them. You have not grasped the issues here - you are proposing a fundamental shift in the way things are done, which is radically different from current practice. There are all sorts of things discussed behind flight deck doors that should remain private conversations. The current arrangement is totally adequate - we have allowed CVR conversations to be made available in the event of an accident. We simply cannot have our private conversations made available to management because they want to know what we are talking about. No employer would insist on private conversations between employees in a factory or office being randomly sampled to see if they were working correctly or talking about last night's football game. It would rightly be considered an infringement of their civil liberties. Unless there is an overwhelming need to review those conversations following an incident or accident, there can be no real justification for hearing them routinely.

Also, John Farley's view is not one I can endorse. You cannot compare the test flying world (in which I spent several years myself), where specific testing and analysis is taking place, with a day-to-day working environment that people spend 30+ years of their lives in. The routine monitoring of conversations "just in case" is simply not acceptable in a free society and there can be no justification for it. We should not even entertain such a possibility - simply because there are such people as SDFlyer out there who are so zealous in their pursuit of 'lesser' pilots than himself. Well done ALPA.