PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2009, 14:16
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caz,

Nope, try again! I think you'll find I'm correct - please bear in mind that S-TANS was NOT certified as crashworthy - it was not a 'black box', so we are back in the realms of 'not positively determined'!

Either way, it is accepted (by most that matter) that for a WP change- at whatever range, the crew would have had to have been 'visual' with WP A, its general area and/or surroundings, such that by a small turn to the left of 10-15 degs, they would have been navigating to WP B at Corran, by keeping clear of the Mull to seaward (where the weather was arguably clear). As many have said before, trying to out climb the Mull and using WP B would have been non-sensical, which is why no-one alive knows what caused them to inadvertently enter cloud after WP change. A ADR/CVR might have given the BOI a clue but because such a device was not fitted, we'll never know.

Apparently, the decison not to fit ADR/CVR had also been Day's some time before - anyone care to comment? If it was, then Day did have a vested interest in ensuring that the lack of ADR/CVR did not cloud the judgement of the ROs.....hmmmm?

I am still confused as why BOI did not ask the question about alternative forms of transport?