PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 19th May 2009, 11:54
captainsmiffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stall recovery

NamibFox, yes PTH is advocating unstalling the wings first but he also prattles on about being able to raise the wing with ailerons and, in the early days on wings without washout, if the ailerons were unsuited then you could use the rudder....and this is the knub of the whole matter, I believe. Why show the student that you can do this because sooner or later that student will do it! Now there is no way of knowing how advanced that stall is along the wing root ergo you don't know how far from initiating a fully developed stall/spin you really are. So what exactly is the point? What actually happens is that you see no end of pilots that believe that this is the correct thing to do. You yourself were initially taught this and you have seen for yourself the sorry results of mis-handling - thankfully you have learnt. Well done sir! I don't know whether the accident pilots in question also employed this technique - the Dash 8 311 certainly dropped a wing in a lively fashion when I stalled it! (I had a CAA flight testengineer on the jumpseat and I very enthusiastically said "hey, let's do that again!" but he wasn't amused and wanted no more of it!)

In my book, the average pilot should be shown very clearly standard stall recovery. The niceties and nuances are lost on them (such as you can pick up the wing but it is highly ill-advised) with the very real danger of them actually learning the wrong technique, so don't flirt with it!