PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maximum "out of date" period to renew CL604 TR on the Aircraft
Old 19th May 2009, 09:58
hawker750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type rating validation

A type can be revalidated/renewed in aircraft or approved simulator within 5 years of the expiry of the rating so in effect 6 years from the date of the last check ride. If a rating is renewed no more than 3 months early from the date of expiry the rating is valid to 12 months from the original expiry date. Also a quirk under British rules is that the rating is valid for 12 months from the end of the month only if the pilot works and has been tested by an AOC company. ie if test done 01 May 2009 it is valid until 31 May 2010. If the pilot works for a non AOC company the validity date would be 01 May 2010. This is a throw back to the 2 in 13 month base checks of ANO operations and was insisted on by Big Airways when JAR FCL's and JAR Ops came in. Do other countries have this anomoly?

After 6 years (5 + validity of rating) one has to contact the Authority for guidance. Not always will the authority insist on a completly new full course. They will judge each case on merit depending on circumstances. For instance some years ago I renewed my Tristar rating after a 15 year lapse. They asked for evidence of a ground school refresher and 3 sim rides plus check ride. Sadly after a 15 year lapse I still regarded the Tristar as a hopless aircraf or may be I am just eternally prejudiced as having flown the DC10 before the Tristar.