PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Microlight?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2009, 09:10
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
He asked for Microlights. Do your choices fit into the microlight category in the UK, javelin ? ( I presume UK is involved ? )

Many of us are restricted to microlights as we can no longer meet the requirements for a Class 2 medical cert. that is a necessity with the PPL that is mandatory for your choices in NZ, javelin, hence our involvement with "microlights" ( LSA I guess, really )

Their 'snowmobile' engines are superior to, more economical than, more reliable than, and easier to handle than many 'Spam Can' 1940's technology engines that I have experienced - and you don't need licensed aeronautical maintenance engineers who charge like wounded bulls, to change the oil and plugs. ( at least not in NZ )

First of all - 2 of the options are low wing, and the third is high wing, so make that decision.

Which construction type do you prefer ? The Dynamic is carbon fibre, and the Euro Star metal I believe ?

My aero club started with a Tecnam, which is basically aluminium with both fabric and 'plastic' additions, but we damaged two fuselage stringers and when buying my own syndicate machine, we went for wood and fibreglass, like a boat, and are delighted with the ALPI Pioneer - 300.

With V.P. prop. retractable gear, 130 kts, cruise, 15 litres/hr consumption, and 4 hours endurance with 2 up and baggage, it doesn't deserve the name ' microlight' and beats the 152's and 172's that are around hands down. And it is fun to fly.

My only experience of the EuroStar was a model known here as the Sportcruiser - same manufacturer. It was lovely to fly, and had a wide cockpit, but it had a heavy empty tank weight, so 2 people and fuel for any distance might be a challenge - do the sums. Not especially fast, either.

A colleague has a Dynamic, loves it, just fitted long range tanks and enhanced wings, with winglets - not quite NZ - UK nonstop, but watch this space !! Hurtles along at around 140 kts most times.

Best of luck, you'll love whatever you choose.

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 19th May 2009 at 09:36.