PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 19th May 2009, 09:02
captainsmiffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually it was me who mentioned the 6/7000 feet elevation and this was only mentioned because you were commenting on my mentioning the 2300' that was clearly sufficient for recovery. You retorted with the buffalo elevation being 700' and went off on one about AGL, AFE etc....! Clearly, the professional pilots have all disregarded this since you shouldn't really need any height at all to recover from a stick shaker event. Certainly no more than 100' on a BAD day!!

You seem to have a problem with receiving criticism and reasoned debate and seem to want to argue with all and sundry. This I don't mind but don't let it get personal. Re-read all of your posts - you seem to just have long lists of grudges against individuals who are trying to add reasoned thought to the debate.

Let's get back to the salient points; as someone pointed out earlier, this aircraft wasn't stalled until the pilots reacted in a very bizarre manner, which sealed their fate and the lives of those entrusted to them...Now I am somewhat discouraged to find that pilots see fit to argue about stall recovery and have some strange ideas on how to recover - it is very clear and should be actioned like you would to an EGPWS event; ie react first and with the correct technique. Sort out the 'whys' afterwards.

At the end of the day, this perfectly serviceable aeroplane crashed as a result of crew action. It shouldn't matter how the bugs were set - they built themselves a trap, maybe, from which they ought to have been guaranteed to have recovered from, and they didn't. The focus thus should be on that crews individual training and why they reacted as they did. There are some huge questions to be asked....

I strongly believe that there should be a call for standardisation here; if you have argued, for example, about aileron use at the stall and many of us have cringed at what you have said then clearly one of us is wrong. How has this arisen? It is a question over the basics of flying and we are poles apart. I am clear in my mind about the aerodynamics of the situation and why you don't use the aileron - I have a degree in aeronautical engineering and have stalled more aeroplanes in my time (deliberately!), including the Dash 8, than some have had hot dinners. I can vouch for STANDARD STALL RECOVERY. 3000 hours plus were on basic instruction.

As I said, drop the personal crusade and back to reasoned debate. We'll all be the better for it.