PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Closure on 'UK Chief Pilot' Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2001, 15:32
Capt PPRuNe

Chief PPRuNe Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holt CJ, the reason threads are closed at around 100 posts is indeed for technical reasons, specifically, the loads on the server increase exponentially as a thread grows in size. It is perfectly acceptable to restart a thread on the same topic but it too will be closed when it reaches the predetermined limits. Until enough funding can be put in place to upgrade to a much more powerful server this limitation will remain.

As for your point about the number of people on a particular forum at any one time you have to note that although this forum is by far the most populated it also has the largest number of active threads and so there is no guarantee that any one thread in particular is going to be read by more people. There may be less visitors to the Aircrew Notices forum than this one but you only took a snapshot at that one moment and it is not indicative of the constant number of readers.

There are too many forums as it is at the moment and to create one for legal advice, whilst tempting, would in my opinion be overrun by the countless 'barrack room' lawyer types who have an opinion on anything and everything. We have always had many legal types on the forums and they have been more than willing over the years to offer their advice when it becomes necessary and your contributions are more than welcome too but preferably in threads that require it rather than in a dedicated forum.

Back to the issue of the thread in question continuing in the Aircrew Notices forum, that is by far the most appropriate one and anyone who is seriously interested in the topic will continue to take part in it over there. It is only a click away to that forum and there are many topics under discussion at any one time.

This forum is for current topical issues of news and rumour and I have to apply editorial control to prevent this one forum becoming overrun with hundreds of topics every day. PPRuNe started with one forum and has grown into 68 at the moment. I have to try and keep it under control otherwise it becomes impossible to moderate and will degenerate into endless flame wars which I am determined will not happen here.

So, this thread too will be closed as it is not appropriate for this forum. Sorry but that is the way it has to be for the time being. I hope that explains my reasons a bit more clearly.