PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2009, 23:47
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, 840, for the updates on the Schiphol Brussels train services. Two trains an hour is hard to beat and whether it is the early morning arrival or the evening one I should imagine the twice hourly frequency stands for both so no real problems getting to Brussels and for between Euro 40 to 60 that sounds like a good enough price to me. It is hard to see Brussels ever being done again ex-Cork when you consider it in those terms.

Perhaps a leaf should be taken out of Mary Harney's book when she argued a case that Irish people may well be closer to Boston than Brussels and with that in mind a consideration may be put aside for looking all together instead at a Cork to Boston service even if was on a purely short seasonal basis. If Brussels Airlines were able to make an aeroplane available twice weekly a few years ago to try Cork just maybe someone like AA or NW/DL could test out the market to Cork from Boston. Afterall, if Knock was able to do it with a 737-700 why not? It might be even easier to fill than a Brussels?

Of course, once again, if the reported Onur Air bags off load was as in my post above the awful limitations of the Cork runway have been made abundantly clear once again and so we have a situation whereby earlier in the year it was more or less admitted on these forums by, presumably line pilots, that the short runway at Cork is something that is taken into account during diversions from elsewhere, namely Dublin, when the weather there is bad and that a preference is somehow there to divert anywhere other than Cork unless it was just absolutely necessary and that there was no where left to go except Cork.

Now, there are other reports above that last summer the XL flight to Santorini in Greece was on occasion similarly compromised by limitations and that bags were also off loaded from some of those flights.

If all the above is true it damns to hell any credibility that Cork Airport has or aspires to and in it's way brings shame to us all in Cork. It says it all about Cork and just what an @rsehole place Cork can be sometimes when at the height of it's ignorance.