PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 18th May 2009, 23:34
excrab

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
PTH

You seem determined to prove that you are right and everyone else is wrong.

No I didn't confuse lowering the nose with reducing the angle of attack. In an erect spin whilst the nose may be low relative to the horizon, it is still pitching up relative to the aircrafts lateral axis as the aircraft follows a descending helical path, and you are lowering the nose of the aircraft to unstall the wing, the effects of the controls in pitch roll and yaw are relative to the aircrafts axis, as a flying instructor you know that as well as I do.

And whatever you say, you never pick up a wing with rudder which is what you stated, you prevent yaw with rudder and pick the wing up with aileron after the wing is unstalled - unless I, and every other pilot trained in the uk, and the RAF central flying school are all wrong and you are right...I'm not conceited enough to rule out that possibility, however.

Anyway, when the stick shaker in that Q400 went off the aircraft was neither stalled nor spinning, the stick shake is a warning of an impending stall and the recovery action would have been to lower the nose and increase power, whether you like it or not.

As for the jets v props thing, you claimed that an experienced crew would not have had the same problem. I cited three examples on jet aircraft where experienced crews had done the same thing - they let the aircraft get to slow and didn't notice it happening. One of those events ended in tragedy and it was just good luck that anyone survived, as it was bad luck that no one did in the Q400 crash. The other two incidents just resulted in ASRs and retraining for the crews but in one of them they allowed a 737 to decelerate to below 100kts and get to eighteen degrees nose up before they noticed, and only recovered at the stick shaker, and the crew was far more experienced than the crew of this dash 8.

The autothrottles are irrelevant - or are you suggesting that a 737 can't be flown without the autothrottle...which is obviously incorrect, as otherwise you would not be allowed by the MEL to dispatch with them inoperative. The fact is that all four crews let the aircraft decelerate, didn't increase the power or thrust, and didn't notice...