PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dyslexia
Thread: Dyslexia
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2009, 21:17
Whopity

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suggest Whopity, that you do some research. Some may call it 'PC' but there's nothing clever about insulting people because of ignorance - makes you look very silly.
I have a son, with a rare form of dyslexia so I think I know something about it. As there are many variations and conditions that qualify as dyslexia, referring to it generically serves no useful purpose. That however is not the issue, its a question of whether someone who has difficulty reading and writing should be allowed to take exams using special help. If they are granted a license as a result of this special help, will they then need special help to safely exercise the privileges of the licence? A licence is a permit, issued on proof of the relevant skills.

I regularly conduct medical flight tests and assessments for disabled pilots, so I am not unfamiliar with the business of assessing whether a particular disability will affect safe operation. I have never said that a person with dyslexia should not hold a licence however, at times a persons dissabilty may mean they cannot operate safely, in which case they should not be granted to opportunity to endanger themselves and others.