PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Några svenska piloter i utlandet?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2009, 20:33
Capt Turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home or abroad?

First the answer to the question: HOME!
But...home does not have to be in STO! And that brings up the most important factor: THE LITTLE WIFE.
With more than 40 years in this business I realize that this is the factor that governs the big decisions:
-If she is the "homey" type your career will be centered around one place (most likely close to the in-laws).
-If she is the tough going, adventureous type you have a free choice (almost) to go where the good jobs are.
- If you don´t believe this you will end up with the ex taking a nice slice of your hard earned money and an asian stewardess doing the x-massage (nothing wrong with that, actually ).
My point is that going for a career abroad is absolutely fine (I have flown for 12 major airlines across the world - with the same wife), but you have to take a master decision before you leave Scandinavia. Yes, I know...in these times you may just have to go somewhere else to get a decent job, the home-marked being in ruins, but that just stresses my point if you take decisions using the lower head too early...and believe me, it is a pain being on a commuting contract from Seoul seeing the loved ones every other month.
So...conclusion: Sweden sucks! Too high taxes, too lousy weather, too many restrictions and SAS is a retirement home where everybody lives in the past (oh yes, I was there, too). So get your but out in the real world and have a splendid life with adventures and money to spend.
And make sure that you have a JAA or FAA cert, the rest is worth crap when it comes to getting a job....and regarding the woman: the industry is packed with beautifull chicks just waiting to get their claws (and other body parts) onto a good looking, innocent Scandinavian boy .
Good luck!