PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best way to become an ATCO?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2009, 19:21
JackRalston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to become an ATCO...at an Airfield?

Hi people

Right, I know when you open this thread, you will be thinking "oh no not this again!" so yes I do apologise about this as I know it has been talked about a lot. So please bare with me

I am 19 and I am currently finishing my first year at University studying Combined Honours in Computing and Geography. I have 4 A2-levels (I.T, Geography, PE, General Studies) and 1 As-Level (Maths).

I am wondering what the best path towards becoming an ATCO is? Most of you will say NATS straight away. Yes, this is the best way but the problem I see with it is that most people who graduate are allocated to Control Centres and I am very interested in going into Aerodrome instead.

I have had past experience of working in an Airport environment. For my high school work experience week, I worked at Manchester Airport in Baggage Management, Apron Control and Terminal Information Desks. I got to spend a few hours observing in the Control Tower as well. I have been in contact with an ATCO at Manchester Airport and he said that the best method is through NATS. I have contacted Liverpool Airport as well for some advice. I have been on a day visit to Liverpool Control Tower which was organised by a friend of mine and that was very benefical.

I am interested in working as an ATCA to gain experience of working within such an environment. Even working for one afternoon for free just to get some experience would be great. I do know that most NATS airports are starting to lay these positions off so Liverpool might be a good choice as they non-NATS.

Any advice or contacts would be brill!

Thanks

Jack

Last edited by JackRalston; 18th May 2009 at 20:22.