PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Status of Displaced Threshold
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2009, 18:36
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runway: -
A defined rectangular area, on a land aerodrome prepared for the
landing and take-off run of aircraft along its length.

Threshold: -
The beginning of that portion of the runway available for landing.

If the reason for the displaced threshold is obstacles that are no longer there and no other reason exists for the displacement then the owner should think about changing the position of the threshold.

However, no matter what the owner says - if one lands before the threshold then one is landing prior to the portion of the runway available for landing. That is not normal aviation practice even if some people do it.

excrab,

One has to also think about rule 5. Nothing illegal about landing on a beach with the appropriate permission. Rule 5 though still applies with regard to anyone or any vehicle etc on the beach. I.E pass 300ft over someone while landing on the beach and they can report you under rule 5.

The same would apply if you were landing before a marked threshold.

busidriver,

So the JAR-OPS factors precluded commercial ops and your figures were so tight that even without safety factors you felt the need to land before the threshold. I can hear the 20/20 hindsight tooth sucking that will resound should you ever have an incident while doing that!!

To go back to the original point I made -

If you land prior to the threshold on any Skill Test or LPC, you will fail. Those who can't see a problem should try it and see how far they can argue their case!

Regards,

DFC