PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 18th May 2009, 18:23
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
GearDown&Locked,

In IMC at low altitude (approach phase) unless you know the airport like the back of your hand, loosing more altitude to unstall the aircraft seems a very unlogical and risky (read terrifiying) procedure in the heat of that moment.
I understand where you are coming from but, looking at it logically, how about this:-

1. If you are on the GP when the Shaker goes off, the Procedure provides you with a sizeable protected area under the aircraft anyway. Use it! True, the total height of this protected area diminishes as you approach the runway. But even so. And I bet, 99.9999% of the time, the shaker will go off while you are on the GP.

2. If you are well trained in proper pre-Stall recoveries (and I think many who have Posted here would agree this is an area which needs addressing), height loss can be minimal. I agree that chucking the nose down to 45 deg below the horizon would be very unwise, but you don’t have to do that at the Shaker!

3. If you go against the tried and tested Stall Recovery techniques – apply power while reducing AoA, preventing further wing-drop with rudder (which you should not get at the Shaker anyway as you are not Stalled) – you risk pushing a pre-Stall condition into far, far worse – a fully developed Stall. As this Crew found out.

IMHO, my take on the worst case scenario – close to touchdown. I would prefer to belly it in wings level through the boundary fence from a height of 100 ft, rather than cartwheel it in having hauled back on the CC at 100 ft, climbed a couple of hundred feet before the aircraft finally bit, and then hit the ground half way into an incipient spin at 45+ deg AoB.

loosing more altitude to unstall the aircraft seems a very unlogical and risky (read terrifiying) procedure in the heat of that moment.
I would suggest that it is this preconception that must be eliminated as part of Training! Just my thoughts. I’m with protectthehornet and MU3001A!

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 18th May 2009 at 19:01.