PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 18th May 2009, 17:09
excrab

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
PTH,

Like mustangsally I think I also missed the point of your post about jets and props. Were you saying that a jet couldn't accidentally stall, or that a jet would be flown by more experienced crews who couldn't accidentally stall? Sadly the recent accident to Turkish Airlines in Amsterdam would seem to disprove that thesis, as would the two very similar events to UK registered 737s in the last two years where reasonably experienced crews failed to notice autothrottle malfunctions until the stick shaker drew their attention to what was going on...

Also I would suggest that even in the olden days of wings with no washout, you didn't pick up a wing with opposite rudder. As has rightly been said on here you prevented further yaw with rudder, lowered the nose to reduce the angle of attack and unstall the wing (adding power if you had it) and then levelled the wings using the ailerons.

At the point where the stick shaker operated in this accident, the crew didn't have to do any of these things. If they had just firewalled the power levers (or indeed just pushed them forward to the rating detent) and held the pitch attitude they were in the aircraft would rapidly have accelerated out of the stall.

Sadly I suspect that we will never know why they didn't do those things, all we can do is speculate, and hope that from all the speculation some benefit may come.