PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 18th May 2009, 15:27
captainsmiffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear... we do have a few issues, don't we? Think about what you are doing at the stall, protectthehornet; yes, I know it is POSSIBLE to 'pick the wing up' using rudder, even aileron. What you fail to understand is that it is not adviseable! You will merely increase the angle of attack on a semi-stalled wing! You might get away with it but you might also cause a spin to start. It is mis-handling of the aircraft and stems from a misunderstanding of what you are trying to achieve. Stall plus yaw is the pre-cursor to a spin and the use of rudder at stall recovery is very definitely designed to prevent further yaw and very clearly not to pick the bloody wing up!! Roll is a SECONDARY effect of the yaw control. It is this sort of thinking and incorrect technique that then, one day, leads to an unexplained spin from a stick pusher event that leaves many scratching their heads! It matters not one iota if you recover with wings not level - reduce the AOA and prevent further yaw. Job done.

Think about your upgoing wing in your dubious technique; the AOA will increase which is definitely not what you would want close to, or at, the stall!! You are arguing what you can get away with versus correct technique and i'll wager that so far, you have been a lucky pilot! One day it will bite you and hard! Heed my advice, sir!!