PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 18th May 2009, 14:35
protectthehornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mustang sally

skip it. you missed the point and I'm not going to explain it to you again.

stall training in the USA....many pilots are shown that it is possible to raise a wing while the plane is stalled. I was shown this while being taught for my PPL...34 years ago.

When I was teaching, I taught...REDUCE ANGLE OF ATTACK before you do anything and as soon as the plane is unstalled, all the flight controls will work just fine.

Somehow people have gotten confused that you must level the wings before actually recovering from the stall. A failure in imagination if you ask me.

Many years ago, in prehistoric flying times, the stall would begin near the tip and the ailerons of the wing. Thus the admonition to not use the ailerons to pick up a wing. What could you use? The rudder.

Well, planes are now designed to start the stall at the root and work out so that when things start shaking the ailerons will still work.

To one chap who speaks about his instructor...I'm sure his point was not to stay in the stall forever and lift the wings with rudder, but he was demonstrating what could be done...

To the chap who somehow thinks that stall training/rudder use caused the problem with the Airbus which lost its vertical fin/rudder...we must remember that American Airlines had an FAA approved training program which encouraged the use of rudder in an upset situation. The plane was FAA approved to not break apart in flight and had no placard saying: if you apply full rudder from stop to stop above speed "X" the tial will fall off.

SO much for FAA approved anything.

as an aside: one time a visiting Englishman to the Palo Alto area of San Francisco,California, USA wanted to do some sightseeing in a Tomahawk (piper). He claimed he was an instructor and had plenty of time in Tomahawks...so off we went.

Did someone teach him to gun the engine repeatedly and swerve to take the runway, and do so with such VERVE as to bang my head off the side of the door...or was he just re-living a previous life while scrambling his mighty spitfire to intercept the Hun over the Thames Estuary?

I've seen so many things while ''checking out'' other people's sutdents. A cross wind landing technique of aiming for the downwind corner of the approach end of the runway and landing towards the upwind corner of the departure end. (this would not be my way of teaching anything except a desperation situation above crosswind limits mind you)

I've seen people starta slip to a crosswind landing from the OUTER MARKER!

So boys and girls there are lots of nutty things out there.

AND I STILL THINK the nuttiest think of all is to apply power and pull up when you get the shaker, instead of accepting the altitude loss and getting right out of the stall.