PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 18th May 2009, 12:55
mustangsally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PTH

Your comment: “….in 1978, jets would be used between Newark and BUF, not props.”

What does the departure point have to do with it? It could have been BOS, LGA, JFK, PHL, ALB, SRY, DTW, DCA, PIT, ORD, or a multitude of others. EWR had nothing to do with this accident.

There were a good number of Merlins, Metroliners, and Convairs flying in 1978. And they did fly into BUF. (As a side note: Nothing to do with this discussion. In BUF, I watched a Short pull on to the ramp in front of me and watched the ice sheets slide down the top of the fuselage across the tail out about two feet and break off.)

The power plants mounted on the aircraft and the passengers seated in the cabin had nothing to do with this accident. The type of engine had nothing what so ever to do with this. Many of the turbo-prop today are only a few blades and a casing away from a turbo fan.

Your comment: “30 years ago the airlines still wanted to show how safe they were so that the customer would buy tickets...now they want to show how cheap they are.”

Thirty years ago the word was “service,” safety was all but a no no when advertizing an airline. It was reputation, service, frequency and quality.

My original post had far more to do with responsible oversight, than discussion of what SOP did what. The oversight is where the responsibility for this accident should be headed. This would be one giant step forward in safety.

Just maybe if the oversight by the FAA had been a little stricter the flight would have been completed safely and this discussion would not be taking place. Sadly that so many people have been lost due to the “FAA minimum standard.”

What is the figure, all but one accident in the last eight years have been by regional carriers?