PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines who ask pilots to pay to fly !
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2009, 12:16
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flinty,
Don't think you're wrong at all. I think you're very right indeed. However, where I think we're missing each other is that the fifty grand isn't "throwing money at the problem" - it's the base stakes now. It's the very minimum to even be in the game. You ain't even playing the game without spending that money - pay as you go or pay in one lump sum, make no difference - find £50k or don't "work" as a pilot. This £50k gets you the basic licence. The queue jumping bit is the NEXT bit of expenditure you're now expected to make - be that the £30k TR at Ryanair, or the abhorrent line training schemes.

"throwing £50k away" may seem a bit melodramatic to you, but it isn't actually....because if [one] was to take the moral high ground and refuse to pay for it, then you would never work.

Your own story is a testament to high morals, but unfortunately is not shared by pretty much the entire remainder of the industry. The bottom line, unfortunately is that if you did lose your job, as with any poor soul in that position your morals (or flying career) would last exactly as long as your bank balance allows. When you are refusing to answer the door, because it's someone in a brown coat come to take your possessions, I highly doubt anyone would be turning down a pay for a TR scheme...