PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines who ask pilots to pay to fly !
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2009, 12:04
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clanger32, I worked my butt off to get where I am. Yes I make good money NOW. Yes I´m in the left seat NOW. NO, I don´t take it lighthearted.

I started my 'work life' as an electrician. That earned me the money to get a PPL and part of the CPL. I worked 8 hrs in a factory and then spent hours and hours at the airport, gaining experience with 10 minutes hops to/from the maintenance base. I de-iced airplanes, I cleaned them, I helped the maintenance shop, I fueled them. I was around the airport for the better part 3 years to make enough money and time to get the IFR and finally landed a job as an F/O and I got the T/R on a KingAir. (in 1991, which was not a good time for Pilots as well)
I flew said KingAir for quite a while, did my FI, ATP and Longrange whilst doing so and got promoted to DO and MM.
I earned it the hard way.14 to 18 hour days where simply normal 7 days a week. Try to be DO/MM/TM/GM and Pilot as well as CRI and CRE for a 2 Aircraft/4 Pilot organization then you know what I talk about.
I´m sure here are quite a few people how have C.V.´s that are similar to mine.
Nowadays I receive applications of people that are 20 years old with an fATPL and that are willing and able to pay for a T/R. (actually its Mum and Dad doing so - one can tell because they went from School to flightschool).
These are people I´ll never employ. They are a thread to me and employment.

How can you think I didnt have a financial burden to carry? Yes, the ATP would have been a little cheaper, but in a regular job one earned also quite a lot less.

The sad thing is, the flightschools will still pump out a steady stream of new kids.