PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA056 JNB-LHR Incident.
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2009, 10:59
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Or perhaps you were afraid that such a question could potentially be observed as a slight(sic) to the actions of the crew on the day!
Da Dog

At no point have I criticised the crew and nobody has actually confirmed whether the gear was raised immediately or not and if it wasn't at what point it was raised. It may well be the case that the stick shake caused them to leave the gear where it was and they then raised it when the stick shake stopped. Plainly whatever the crew did worked.

I do not subscribe to the view that they would have had sufficient time to analyse the situation, decide that they MIGHT have to shut down two engines, and that raising the gear while near to a stall was the lesser of two evils.

The BALPA forum consists of a thread almost entirely composed of unqualified congratulations so hardly the place to discuss the merits of various courses of actions but then it made your attack easier.

Full Wings said:
Makes a lot of sense. It probably wouldn't have taken much of a reduction in pitch attitude for the aircraft to make ground contact and I expect that would have been beyond the end of the paved surface...
So raise the gear, temporary increase in drag, lower the nose to maintain airspeed, er..........

I'm off. I will just have to learn to blindly praise every perfect crew before the facts are known rather than try and learn from the incident whether anything done was less than optimum, albeit successful, just in case I am faced with the unthinkable which, as has been pointed out, is outside the scope of any known procedure.