PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any chance of Sat WX for GPS here in Europe....
Old 18th May 2009, 10:36
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A system like the U.S. XM satellite one will prob99 never appear in Europe. The IFR private pilot population is far too small, and the upper end of it carries radar anyway.

You can get weather using a bit of a lash-up with a satellite phone. I've done it (email on its way) using a Thuraya one. Thuraya is pretty unreliable though and Avidyne's European weather product unsuprisingly uses the much more expensive U.S. Iridium network, as does the German MT one. These solutions are very expensive to buy and expensive to run, though I gather XM in the USA is not exactly cheap either...

None of this will work with a G496. However, once you get internet access over a satellite phone, you can get any website running on a suitable tablet PC or even a laptop, so the world is your oyster

I think Avidyne licenses its data from Meteox while MT probably license a feed from the monopolistic cartel of European weather offices called Opera. These two products provide a georeferenced weather radar image, and tafs/metars etc.

I like satellite weather for tafs/metars because, on a long flight, one can make a diversion decision very early, instead of arriving at the destination and then having to proceed to the alternate on minimum fuel. The value of weather radar (which I have used too) is probably more limited unless it is virtually real time and accurately georeferenced.

A stormscope is well worth installing. It's not that reliable, or accurate w.r.t. distance, but if you avoid flying into any clusters of strikes, you should be OK.