PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines To Routinely Monitor Cockpit Voice Recordings?
Old 18th May 2009, 08:47
TeachMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps a different context give a fresh perspective...

I am a teacher trainer and former language teacher myself. My job is to teach Asian public school teachers how to teach English. The biggest problem we have are teachers who take a teaching course and then go back to their classrooms and do exactly the same wrong things they did before the course. As an example, many Asian teachers have students memorize dialogs. During the course we show them that research results indicate that this type of language teaching (audio-lingual) is not effective, and that a communicative approach is better.

So, what often happens? Teachers go back to their classrooms and have students memorize dialogs and then call it communicative language teaching. In other words they have not changed at all.

I can go into a classroom and observe a teacher, but they will be on their best behavior and not really show me what they normally do - which I can often find out by asking the students if the lesson I observed was normal. So, I would love to have a camera / audio recording of a class that I could randomly review to help fix such bad habits.

Yet when I was only a language teacher myself I fought very hard with a school that installed cameras in the classrooms because it was an invasion of my privacy, not to mention that we all make mistakes and I did not want to be called on small mistakes.

So, should your childrens' teachers be constantly and randomly monitored so that your children get the best education possible, or should they be given the privacy and freedom to run their own classroom the way they feel is best?

They only solution I could see for either pilots or teachers would be to have the recordings made and then double blind reviewed (teacher or pilot does not know and is not known by reviewer) and the results given back to the teacher or pilot privatly without anyone else knowing the results of the review. As a teacher trainer, I sometimes say things I regret in class, and I would not even want my best friend at my school to know that I said it. Thus, even reviews by peers (other pilots or teachers known to the person) would be uncomfortable and I feel counter productive.

The only problem with this is that for the less professional, it would then be too easy to ignore the feedback. Perhpas some flagging of results such that if a person was to have many negative reviews over a period of time, the general nature of those reviews, but not the specifics, could be opened to some sort of review committee.

Now, is it practicle......

TME