PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - List your childhood model collection
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2009, 08:44
vonbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Childhood model collection

My first kit ever was an Airfix Fiat CR42, 1:72 scale in green plastic. It was bought by my late father somewhere in 1971 - IIRC (was five years old) -, as a surprise (*). I recall I loved the picture of the airplane on the small box, but was puzzled by all those pieces of plastic on the (three ?) sprues inside. At those times I used to jump for happiness (wish I could still do it, if then they were not to lock me up ;-)).
Since I began with the wrong foot, to disconnet the two fuselage halves I just bent it more times until it detached, my father took over and built the model. Unfortunaterly it was lost years later.

I then distinctly remember the second was a bimotore, probably a Marauder, still 1:72, followed by a Vickers Wellington -- that I can never forget so nice looking it was --and later by a Boeing B29 (that really seemed to be very large), probably all Airfix.
My father properly disconnected the pieces and let me fit them, always saying: "use less glue!".

After some practice, a couple of years later, I built all by myself a Dauntless (possibly a Baravelli kit) in blue plastic. It was fun also because my cousin had got the same kit as a present and we were building it together to see who finished first. He had used way too much glue, though, and after a few hours from completion his model became soft, the wings and the fuselage bent under its own little weight.

(*) = most gifts were not surprises, they were on request.

Last edited by vonbag; 19th May 2009 at 19:24. Reason: typo and RIP to my father ;-(