PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Howard breaks his silence: Work Choices should've stayed
Old 17th May 2009, 22:39
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No man is an island, Chuck...

I'm not going into a big reply, except to highlight a point you touched upon; living in a society confers privileges, and requires concessions in return. e.g. taxation, agreeing to abide by laws etc. The disputes arise over the interplay and quantities within those myriad rules, concessions, rights etc. As you point out, people have choice. If you think your rights are being infringed by an increased taxation burden to pay for unemployment benefits to lazy people who will not move to get work, you are free to move somewhere else. Is that irony not lost on you?

Sometimes, paying people more than a subsistence can be in your interest, Chuck, lest a majority of people decide to shift some of the parameters of the society, and you find more than your ability to speak your mind is 'trammeled'. If you get my drift.

Australia has a remarkable ability to oust the government if the pendulum shifts too far one way or the other. I hope that continues.