PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasons why Ministers NEED to travel...
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2009, 22:33
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too, used to be of the opinion that pollies were in it (politics) for personal gain, trips, junkets etc.

Then, through Mrs C I got to know one, whom she had been friends with for many years, and in the early 2000's, Mrs C worked as an advisor to a minister in the NT Govt.

Pilots are oft heard to complain about missing family activities, birthdays, anniversaries, kids growing etc. Well from my perspective (now) many, if not most pollies are in a similar boat. The Minister Mrs C worked for, would have killed to just go home at the end of the day and put his feet up, rather than attend the endless functions.

Trips, domestic and international provided little time to relax or enjoy. Mostly they were endless meetings, overnighting in countless hotel rooms, schmoozing with dignitaries or pollies, as they tried their best to promote the Territory.

My view of politicians has changed such that whilst I still detest John Howard's politics, I now believe that he did what he thought was in the best interests of the Country and Government that he served. That he was wrong, is another matter entireley!