PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe MPL at Oxford (commences 1 September 2009)
Old 17th May 2009, 21:59
gone_fishing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A and C,

How does being an MPL make you dangerous? This is a genuine question - I'm someone who hopes to train in two years.

From what I can see (admittely from zero expirience) the MPL seems perfect for airline sponsorship schemes when an airline wants a cadet trained to their exact requirements. I don't see it replacing the ATPL - but another route. An MPL, again from what I've seen, is just less time spent in a simple SEP aircraft and more time spent in complex aircraft and then alot of time in simulators flying pretty much like they will be when they're in the RHS. They'll be taught the company SOPs from the beginning and CRM should be very good as MCC is almost built into the entire course. They should be very competent in handling airliners as they've spent most of their training doing this. Do they not have to meet the same standards for a type rating that an ATPL does? From what I can see, isn't this just a very effective way of training those airline cadets to the exact requirements of an airline?

Don't get me wrong, I think there are problems with it. It's perfect for those people who just see flying as a way of looking good, showing off and for a job that will impress Daddy's friends. But that is certainly not everyone. And from what I can see, there are many ATPLs, young and old, who don't seem to give a damn about the flying and just care about the money or lifestyle, or whatever. I read a post recently by someone who is in his forties and flies for BA. He seemed to be jumping at the chance for getting redundancy and, presumably, giving it all up whereas many are absolutely desperate for a job, let alone one for BA.

I don't want to fly for the money or for the social credit - I want to fly because I love flying and aslong as I can live a half decent life off my wage - I'm happy. For me the MPL presents some issues. I plan to do the PPL before I start my main training and this doesn't seem to wash down well with the airline schemes. Which would mean I'd have to do all the differences training for single pilot, SEP operations (as I'd like to bimble above during my days off). Also, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking up such a scheme unless it was through an airline with "guaranteed" employment at the end. And, of course, such schemes I suspect would be fierce in competition.

An MPL is ovbiously different, but what makes you say that it is dangerous, or maybe, better worded, any more dangerous than a frozen ATPL straight out of an intergrated or modular course?