PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2009, 18:42
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epiphany,

If you worked in Nigeria then you, the same as myself, presumably still have friends who work there at a time when the situation appears to have escalated to the worst it's been since the Biafran war (and yes, I was there when all the helicopters were being hijacked in 1999). This is the fifth time to my certain knowledge now that a helicopter has been hit by small arms fire in the last 12 months, luckily with nobody having been killed so far. 2 Bristow national pilots were shot and wounded (one of them seriously) in an ambush less than 3 months ago, and you don't feel that any of the people still trying to do their job out there might be just a teensy bit offended by:
if I were a poor Nigerian with a gun and a grudge then I'd probably have a pop at one too.

carholme,

The situation in Nigeria now is nothing like it was in the 70s, it's far more dangerous on a daily basis for both expatriates and Nigerians. I'm not trying to control opinions just objecting most strongly to what are inappropriate views being expressed at a time when friends of mine are still working there and inflammatory remarks being made which seem to be expressing encouragement to those who feel it's okay to shoot at unarmed civilian helicopters. I condemn in the strongest possible terms the killing of unarmed civilians, including my friends who are still trying to do their job there. All I'm asking for is the posters or the moderators to remove a couple of inappropriate posts at a time when there's enough inflammation already in the Niger Delta. If you can't live with that - tough.