PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Puzzles me!
Thread: Puzzles me!
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2009, 17:44
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
When I started taking helicopter training a few years ago, I was an odd mix of experienced and very novice. If it had to do with being off the ground at more that 50 knots, I had it fairly well worked out, if it had to do with all the unusual characteristics of flying at less than 40 kts, I was very new to it. There I was, with all of the students, among them as one for the first time in 30 years. My second first solo was 30.5 years after my first. It was a good lesson in humility for me! I had three instructers with whom I alternated. They kept saying to me "You already know this", but I saw the opportunity to be refreshed.

I past times, I'd be a check out pilot for a newer pilot on a relatively exotic GA type. I quickly learned to not assume that they knew how to fly well just becasue they could afford to. There were certainly times where I waited too long, and my very sudden "I've got it!!!" surprised them.

We are of all different skills and experience as pilots. It's amazing how we can help each other learn new things. Having flown Lycoming IO 360's for 30 years, in March, a very wise mechanic, who is also a new pilot, taught me something very simple and basic about checking the dipsticks on the DA42L.

To assume that we pilots are safe or dangerous, requires a lot of generalizing. I've met many very new pilots to whom I would lend my plane, and some very experienced pilots to whom I would not. The experience and skill are only a part of the equasion, its the attitude which really matters. Pilots of the right attitude never assume they know it all, and will always be willing to learn and share. Pilots with the wrong attitude don't listen well, and tend to show off. Whenever I'm around planes and pilots, and I hear "watch this", I watch out!

Keep reading here, and chatting with other pilots, and you'll find you're saying to yourself "yep, I can imagine how [that] could happen, I've come so close myself. I have to do better next time".

Safe flying, Pilot DAR