PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF - how small?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2002, 01:04
Sloppy Link

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Flt Lt Spry

You are right that the AAC took over at Netheravon in the late sixties (it was the RAFP Dog training depot) but I think it worth mentioning that it was originally a RFC field before the Great War and therefore was an Army Airfield before it became RAF! I can not think of any others that have that distinction.
Upavon is not on the list unless you class the RAF GSA as a controlling authority and also mustn't forget Middle Wallop, a major airfield during the Battle of Britain for you chaps. Does Cosford come into the equation as I think that is now a Joint Services Training centre for technical trades?
There are others;
1. Templeton (part of the Castlemartin Training areas)
2. Credenhill
3. Blandford Forum
4. Jurby (I think it is an Adventure Training Centre)
5. Ouston
6. Two airfields on Thetford training area, (names forgotten)
7. Kingsfield, Dhekalia

There have been other uses as well, RAF York is now the Clifton Moor shopping complex,RAF Croft and many others are now racing curcuits, RAF Inskip is an antenna farm, Londonderry is now the home of the DuPont chemical factory (sneaking suspicion that it may have been a Naval Station), RAF Long Kesh, Magheraberry, Full Sutton and others are Prisons and RAF South Marston is the Honda car factory. Anyone else got an unusual use for disused airfields? Giving them to the AAC does not count.

(edited because I thought of another one)

Last edited by Sloppy Link; 14th May 2002 at 01:27.