PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow security
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2009, 16:11
Bondyboy63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow security

News article from the Jersey Evening Post 17th may 2009
Airport’s novel anti-terror move

Mrs Burgess was told that the picture of the gun might upset other passengers (00690051)

No liquids, no gels, no sharp items and no books with images of guns on board this flight . . .
That is exactly what bank worker Carolyn Burgess (58), of St Brelade, was told as she was stopped by security for trying to take her paperback on board a plane from Heathrow to Japan.
As Mrs Burgess placed her Robert B Parker novel, A Triple Shot of Spenser, onto the security tray she had it snatched away from her because it ‘might upset passengers’ on the plane. It had the image of a handgun on the front.
‘I must have looked stunned, as I am past my half-century and not perhaps the most obvious terrorist,’ said the Royal Bank of Scotland clerical worker. ‘I honestly thought they were joking. It seemed so silly. I was half way through merrily reading my book.’
Mrs Burgess, who was travelling alone to visit her son in Japan, had passed through security at Jersey airport with the crime fiction novel without any problems.
A spokesman for BAA said: ‘In certain circumstances, a passenger carrying an item which features an image or slogan that could be perceived as aggressive may be asked to cover it up or remove it. Security officers are advised to use common sense when making these requests.’