PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cockpit Video Camera
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2009, 08:00
vanHorck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is quite affordable now to use high definition camcorders which give a much better picture.

I use a JVC Everio HD7 but it is a hard disk recorder, so not to be advised for aerobatics.

There are now camcorders (HD) available which record on memory sticks (RAM memory) and so have no moving parts. A lot will depend on your budget.... I would suggest you either use 720p or 1080p settings (progressive) as opposed to 1080i (interlaced) which might give jagged edges during fast moves. Another question is the bit rate. All digital recordings are compressed in some way, especially visible during fast movements. The higher the bit rate the cam can record the more detail you will have (the less compression). Again this becomes visible during motion. On a still picture no compression is needed so everything is sharp, but as soon as the camera or the object moves compression comes into play. Finally 50 frames per second gives better pics than 25 frames per second but unfortunately a 1080p camcorder with 50 frames and high bitrate is totally unaffordable.... So everything is a compromise....

On wide angle lenses there is a lot of quality difference. I suggest you start with the wide angle convertor of the brand you use (I at least know JVC makes them for their cams).

You will have an issue with light during rotations and the automatic aperture will not change quick enough during spins etc, so fixed will be better but it s a matter of experimenting.

No idea on safe mounts for the camcorder though, and i would think this is going to be essential, you don't want bits flying during a spin.....