PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 17th May 2009, 07:59
captainsmiffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justanotherflyer....are you really telling me that people are turning up for work in a state in which they could not control the speed on finals nor recognise and react to a stall! These are such entrenched skills.....or they should be. I am tired, I flew last night and got into bed at 2am; I will be flying again at midnight the following night on an all-nighter. However, I am professional enough to realise when enough is enough and I have never, despite crewings best attempts at making me so, been so punch drunk so as to be unable to operate nor have a clue what was going on around me. Yes, fatigue is a HUGE issue but there are some very serious underlying problems apparent in that crew and how they operated the aircraft - Condition levers to max with no power (massive airbrakes then, as ANY turboprop pilot will tell you); no monitoring of airspeed (examine how frequently you look at the ASI on an approach. You dont ignore it for the major part of 19 seconds, that is for sure!); mis-handled stall recovery; fixation on tailplane stall? What did they think the stick pusher was doing? Come on ......REALITY CHECK!!

If the fatigue issue is so HUGE in the states then get on to the regulators and the politicians.....(and I, for one, won't be flying regional in the US if things are really as bad as your article would have me to believe)