PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - nose- or tail-wheel shimmy
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2009, 23:33
rutan around

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connaught
On reflection I was unfair to use the term "design fault" ."Design compromise" would have been more accurate.Designers have to find a balance between the superior strength,lighter weight and compact size of a vertical NGL and the need to have a lot of complex antiflutter (that's what shimmy is) devices. On an airliner it's probably a no brainer but on smaller stuff there's a fair bit of head scratching needed.
I haven't any experience with trailing arm nose gear in bigger aircraft but I know in smaller ones eg small Grummans,Vari-ezes ,Long-ezes Bede 4s etc the trailing wheel will flutter often breaking the NW fork. These aircraft must be checked often for correct shimmy damper tension. If you are looking for an example of trailing wheel shimmy at very low speed just observe the wheels of a Woolworths shopping trolly next time you go shopping.

Chimbu
I would rather pretty up now and again a pair of lead filled elevator bell horns than buy a new set of C210 prop blades. That being said I've certainly seen pilots going instantly to full power on loose gravel strips-it's just a shame they don't have to pay for the damage. I'm sure they'd learn quicker that way.
Cheers